Sunday, October 19, 2008

Friday night lights!






Friday night the South Mississippi Fair rolled into town. As always, the Taylor family just had to go. The Jones County Baptist Association set up an area for all of the churches to come and witness to fair goers. The set up was so nice. Renae Register works for our association and did such a good job. She had a really nice tent that she made look like a church and had a huge screen up showing Christian videos of groups like Casting Crowns and Mercy Me. I saw a lot of teenagers going in there and really enjoying the music. There was also this booth that looked like a well. It had two huge ice water jugs on it so we could give out free water to people passing. Our church signed up for Friday night. We figured that we could kill two birds with one stone. Will was just going to die if he didn't go and we really wanted to go and help support our association's efforts. I took the first shift at the well with Jack and Iris Hilton. We had such a good time. Speaking to people and working a crowd is my forte'. I mean I can talk to absolutely ANYBODY!!! Just ask my husband. I found this kind of thing to be so much fun. While I was gabbing to every Jones County resident, as well as, all of the illegal immigrants that dared come through my path, Jeff was off with Will taking a cruise around the midway. He purchased an $18.00 armband for a seven year old to ride just a few rides. Anyway, Jack and Iris' shift ended and they were off on a search for a chocolate/peanut/ice cream concoction. I was there all alone but did not even notice because I was just talking to all of my new "friends". After all, aren't strangers just friends we haven't met yet? Before I knew it, my shift was coming to an end. Jeff came to me with Will so we could "trade off". It was now my turn to carry Will around while Jeff chatted and charmed and talked about Jesus. For those of you who don't know my husband, he can talk about Jesus all day long. The chatting and charming do not come so easily for him. Before I left I walked over to look at some things close by and came back by the well where Jeff was suppose to be. He was there alright. He looked as awkward as he possibly could. He was very much out of his element. I could see right away he and all of those "friends" would never be!!!! Sweet Renae came over and told us that we could start shutting things down and Jeff looked very relieved. I guess that just goes to show that in the Body of Christ we all have very important roles. Jeff's is administration and being a great bible teacher and preacher. Maybe mine is just talking. Good thing because I do it A LOT!!!!! If we are talking body parts, Jeff would probably be something like a head or a backbone- me, I would probably just be a pinky toe or maybe an earlobe. Oh well, God can use and earlobe or a toe too! After we cleaned up we both set out to finish this night and try to get our money's worth out of that $18.00 armband. I rode no rides. The only thing I spent my hard earned money on was a gander at Tina the "snake lady". Yes, I wasted my money. It was the most ignoramus thing that I think they have ever tried to pull. Of course maybe I am the ignoramus for spending my money to look at a lady born with no bones that supposedly slithered like a snake. It was simply a woman with a big afro and sunglasses sitting on the floor surrounded by a plastic snake body. She kept her head down at first. I think she may have been playing with a cell phone or something under her "snake body". She just kept her head down so you were just looking at her afro. I was pretty mad when I realized that was it, so I called out to her and she did finally lift her head. She never even cracked a smile. I mean I am sure that being a freak in a side show at a cheesy fair is probably not a real barrel of monkeys or anything, but hey, that was $2.00. I expected a hello at the very least. Maybe even a menacing snake like hiss or something. But nothing!!! Oh well, maybe next year they can come up with something a little more original or at least someone a little friendlier. Perhaps she suffers from the same awkward feeling that Jeff experienced over at Jacobs' well. Maybe I could be the snake lady. They could market me as "Tina, the TALKING snake lady".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on Tina. I would have went and spent my money on her had you not told me about her. That's so funny that people kept giving their money even though you were telling them it was fake. Goes to show you how this world really functions. We all have to live and learn...what a valuable lesson.

Dawn said...

Hey...I know, it's been a very long time since I posted a blog! It has been a stressful and crazy month around here. I have 3 weddings this month, revivial, pastor appreciation, pictures booked, and it has been crazy. I got your e-mail and did as you asked. I hope things are good with you! I will try to blog soon and write more later!
Love,
Dawn
P.S. Born with no bones??? That sounds intresting to see! Rebecca you are so crazy...your blogs make me laugh and feel all sorts of emotions! I Love You!
Dawn

Beth said...

You are a nut! I can see Jeff just sitting there with that "look" on his face like "I dare you to stop and make me talk to you", while you are over hissing at the snake lady!!! I think I may have spent my $2.00 to check that snake lady out!

Anonymous said...

Once again, your blog is hilarious! You people live a pretty exciting life. I think that in your case reality is stranger than fiction. You should consider writing a book and telling everyone about your crazy life. I truly think people would pay to read about it. Just be sure I get a FREE copy.

Judy

jeff and rebecca said...

Beth and Dawn, Isn't it almost time for the fair in Andalusia? Maybe there will be some good side shows there. If so, tell me all about them. I just love them!!

Shonna said...

The fair is in Andalusia this week...I think we are going to try to take Caroline tomorrow night (if it is not raining).

Anonymous said...

I know you cnat believe i finaaly looked at your blog. very funny by the way. If i were going to the fair i would ptobally still spend $2 to see a black lady in a snake costum. maybe i could get her to at hiss.