Sunday, February 8, 2009

Just another ordinary Sunday morning (or so I thought!)

This morning I got up dragging around (usual thing). I did my normal Sunday morning routine. Jeff gets up first and goes to the den to watch a little Sunday morning news. I wait about 10-15 minutes trying very hard to get just a few more seconds of blissful sleep, then I join him. I love our alone times together in the mornings. We usually just sit and talk about our upcoming plans for the day and discuss how dismal things are usually in the news. This morning was no different except, I lingered just a little too long on our conversation time and this made me scurry to get myself ready for church. I TRY to get there a few minutes early so that I can get the kids breakfast together. On Sundays we have just a light meal for the children's dept. and I am the one who usually puts the milk, juice, muffins, etc. out for the kids and teachers. Anyway I was trying really hard to get my hair curled and my pantyhose on straight when I called for Jeff to get Will ready for me. Will always puts his own clothes on but we pick them out for him so that we know he matches and isn't wearing shorts or some other get up that is inappropriate. So, Jeff did just as he was asked and he and Will were in the kitchen waiting for the matriarch to join them. Finally, I run into the kitchen, still putting on earrings and readjusting those blasted pantyhose(don't you just hate it when they get twisted around your thigh and it feels like someone with giant paws is giving you an indian burn in your groin?) when I looked at my son to give him my approval. I noticed that obviously Jeff had not paid careful attention to him because it looked like he had something on his face. Oh no, this would never do!! I can't stand dirty kids in public. Filth around your yard is one thing but NOT in church. As I got a damp dish cloth and began my spit bath, I noticed that the clump of dirt looked more like a really bad pimple. Will is only seven and should not be bursting out with acne just yet. Upon further inspection, I found these spots all over his little body. I was horrified and knew deep down that this was probably chicken pox. My mind kept saying NO, HE HAD THE VACCINE, IT CAN'T BE!!! Jeff went on to church and Will and I headed into Laurel to our after hours clinic affectionately known as "The MEA". They are notorious for LONG waits. Fortunately because everyone was terrified of this kid with these pustules all over him, they took him right on back where they confirmed my suspicions. That's right, Will officially has the chicken pox even after he had the vaccine. I was pretty upset but he is excited about missing school. I guess maybe it can be a good thing. I will have to miss some work but I will get to spend the day with my most favorite little boy in the whole wide world!!!!

6 comments:

Lori Griffin said...

It looks like Will is being a good sport about it! Just looking at the pictures is making me itch!! Hope they go away soon and aren't too bad!!

Shonna said...

It looks like Will is loving every minute of having those chicken pox!! Hope he gets well soon!

Robbie said...

When Jeff was describing to us Will's condition this morning, the first thing I said was "chicken pox"! He was afraid he had gotten into something while hunting yesterday. Let me know if I can do anything for you! Love ya! (And remember, this isn't vacation just because you need to be home!!)

Dawn said...

Hope Will is doing better soon! Glad you guys are getting some alone Mommy and Son time. Cherish that!! He is growing up sooo fast! Take care Rebecca! Things are crazy around here as usual. Hope things around your place are not as hectic!
Love you much!
Dawn

Julie said...

Sorry to hear that your little guy had the horrible chicken pox--after he already received the vaccine....uuuggghhh! You're absolutely right in that the good part of Will's cp is you staying home with him and loving on him ALL day! :) He's a handsome little guy!!!

Beth said...

How is Will doing now?

I have trouble getting on your blog. Everytime it takes years to come up! Hope you all are feeling better! Love you!